Friday, December 30, 2011

Backstory: "Traveled So Far"

Years ago, Arthur C. Clarke wrote a short story entitled "The Star."  It was award-winning and critically acclaimed, and it was even adapted for the 1980s version of The Twilight Zone.  With all due respect to the late Mr. Clarke, however, it's not one of my favorites.  Without recapping/spoiling it here, suffice it to say that its approach to the Christmas story is cynical to say the least.

Basically, my intention for "Traveled So Far" wasn't to rebut "The Star."  I know I'll never attain Clarke's status, and his outlook on God, Christianity, etc. is between him and God.  However, reading the story did make me want to present a sci-fi story that put a more faith-based and positive look at the Christmas story.  In my own small way, I wanted to represent the other side of the coin.  Because it's a work of flash fiction, I'm afraid that I can't tell you much more without spoiling it.

I hope everyone has a blessed New Year.  Philippians 4:13.--SMS

No comments:

Post a Comment