Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Backstory: "Awakening"

1. Sometimes it happens that the idea for a story comes to me in a dream.  I wake up, write down what I remember, and the story grows from there.  This was the case with the first story I ever had published, "The Other Woman" (Southern Comfort: A Charitable Anthology, 2005).  That also happened to be the case with "Awakening."  I woke up at 2 AM one night, having just had this dream, and I felt compelled to write it down.  That would eventually become "Awakening."

2. What makes "Awakening" so unique is that the idea came to me fully formed.  That is to say that the beginning, middle, and end all came to mind at the same time.  That doesn't happen often, so it was certainly memorable in this case.

3. The Scriptural basis of the story comes from Matthew 27:50-53.  It records a particular event surrounding the Crucifixion that (obviously) captured my imagintion enough for "Awakening" to be born. 

Philippians 4:13.--SMS

No comments:

Post a Comment